Thursday, November 1, 2012

#17 Take 10 book suggestions from people and read them.

This is an easy one for me.  I love to read!  I also joined a book club this spring.  So with two sisters who are librarians and a new book club I have no shortage of suggestions.  I know I read more than these, but these are the ones that have stuck in my head for one reason or another.

Souless by Gail Carriger.  The first in a series that introduced me to the steampunk movement. I liked the mix of vampires, werewolves, and inventors.

50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James.  I read all three of the books.  They were interesting, the second and third seemed like they were more toward the romance genre. I hate romance novels.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I enjoyed this book although it was very sad.  Don't let that stop you though.  It gives you something to think about.  I like books that make you think.

Grave Matters by Mark Harris  I feel this is a must read for everyone!  It lets you know what goes on with a body after you die and what your options are.  I just wish I would've read it before I had to bury a loved one.

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens  I made it through this book, it was one for my book club.  Very lengthy.  I was told after I was done that Mr. Dickens got paid by the word, so that is why there was so much.......stuff (?).  It was ok.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  As a general rule the book is better than the movie and this was no exception.  I enjoyed her journey to self discovery.  I just wish I had a job that would let me travel for a year to get myself together.

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.  Loved this book!  First the author started writing when he was 70 years old.  His characters are wonderful.  Flavia is delightful, I wish she was my friend growing up.

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher This is actually a series about a wizard in Chicago.  I have read the first 3 books.  Sci-Fi is my favorite genre.  I am delighted to find a new series to devour.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson  I really enjoyed this.  I got to read about Sweden, which at times was a little confusing but still good.  I like mysteries and strong female characters.  This had both.  I am now on the third of the series.

Murder by Peacocks by Donna Andrews.  This is a fun quick read. Mystery with quirky family mixed in.  It is also a series but I haven't had time to find any of the other books.

These are only a few of the books I have read this summer.  I would list more, but I have been on a cleaning spree and gave two large boxes of books away to a high school teacher so that she can use them for her class room.  I hope you get time to read some of these too.


No comments:

Post a Comment