Monday, January 2, 2012

# 75 Read the King James Version of the Bible 12/29/2011

To start this goal I went on google search and found www.biblestudytools.com.  I knew that I would need a plan.  The plan is set up so that you will read the Bible in a year.  It has you read from three different books every day.  I have read the bible (Revised Standard Version) before, from Genesis to Revelation.  That was about 10 years ago and it took me 8 months. In comparing the two I like the RSV better.  It is the wording, "thou" and "thy" just sound like they should be there.  I do like that the KJV has everything that Jesus says in red lettering.  I don't know if I will read the entire Bible again, maybe in ten years I will feel the need.  I will definitely pick a different translation.  I feel that it is good to look at the same thing in a different light.

I have my favorite passages:  Deuteronomy 31:6  "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them:  for it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you."  Joshua 1:9 and Hebrews 13:5 say the same thing.  These verses have gotten me through very tough times.  I could barely function after my divorce and some days repeating these verses was the only thing that kept me going.  Years have passed since then, but I still come back to these when I am feel like I am facing an impossible task.  It helps to know that I am not alone.

I hope that you have some sort of safe harbor to retreat to when problems seem to overwhelm you.  I am not one to push religious views on someone else.  I have had people try and make me believe or do things that they believe in but I don't...it is not a good feeling.  I would, however, be glad to share with you my church, my beliefs, and my thoughts on God  in a private discussion if you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment