Saturday, June 4, 2011

# 20 Make 6 afghans for the NICU at Children's 6/1/2011

NICU stands for Newborn Intensive Care Unit.  My daughter Sarah was born 4 weeks premature.  She was rushed down to Children's Hospital in the Twin Cities.  Unfortunately after only 18 hours of life she passed away.  The people that work there have angel wings under their scrubs.  They were wonderfully supportive both that night and in the weeks after.  I used to donate money for teddy bears at Christmas time.  Then a daycare parent that volunteered in the NICU said that they accepted afghans.  I knew what my new project was. I have only donated two afghans to the NICU so far.  I have three more finished that haven't been sent, they will be sent with these six.  I have been crocheting since I was in the 3rd grade.  My best friend at the time Anna taught me how to make doll booties during the movie Bambi.  It is one of those snapshot moments, where you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing.  Our third grade class had gathered in the school library for a movie, quite a treat for us.  Anna and I were at the back of the room (where there was light) whispering back and forth.  She had brought an extra crochet hook from home and extra yarn.  I know that my first attempt was not very good.  Over the years I have gotten much better and have been known to crank out a full size afghan in as little as 10 days.  I usually only work on afghans in the winter, they help to keep me warm while I am watching TV.  I really wanted to finish these, since they are smaller and quicker.  The last two were the solid color ones done with two strands of yarn.  My favorites are the round ones.  Mostly because they are different.  I think that they cover car seats better than the rectangle kind.  I also like to use bright colors instead of the pastels that are usually used for baby things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment